October 9, 2009

All Girls are Princesses

"I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young. They're still princesses. All of us. Didn't your father ever tell you that? Didn't he?" -A Little Princess

Princess Brielle is turning 4 today. When I asked her mother what Brielle wanted for her birthday?
She said, "She loves anything princess-y."
We found a lot of "princess" items at the store, but nothing was quite right.
So, I made this...




My little princess has a similar skirt in purple that her Grandma gave her, so I used it as a guide and made a few modifications. I used white satin as the underlay. Then, I folded pink tulle in half, stitched up the sides and inserted the rose petals. Next, I gathered the satin and tulle. Then, adjusted it to fit and sewed wide wired fuschia ribbon folded in half at the top to cover the gathered edge.




I made a matching crown with floral wire, ribbon, rose petals, hot glue, and fray check.

No comments: