January 29, 2010

Activity Days - Savings Can

When coming up with an idea to teach 8 and 9 year olds about a budget, I thought it would be nice to have them make some type of a savings jar or box. Finally, I arrived at the idea that a hot chocolate or formula can would work wonderfully.


Here are all of the cans I collected...




This was my vision...




For the inside of the can, I made dividers.

I measured the inside width, and marked the middle line. Then, cut the carstock half way down.



I took two of those pieces and slid them inside each other.



I folded two of the wings together to make a larger divider for the savings side.

I taped it down with double-sided sticky tape, and folded the other two sides to look like this...



We made maps on the lids to help the girls remember what each section is for.



I made some templates,

and this is what they made...









The girls enjoyed the ability to personlized their cans





The stickers were a big hit!







It is fun to see their creativity!

No comments: